Thursday, April 18, 2013

Eatin' High on the Hog

Cover of "Canadian Bacon"
Cover of Canadian Bacon


What the heck is Canadian bacon?


I've wondered about it for years.


Americans talk about our bacon as if it drops on
the tundra like frozen manna.


I finally asked Travis Erwin of  Bacon, Beer & Books. 

He's from Texas and posted a pretty funny blog about
Canadian food yesterday which you can read here.


This is how he described Canadian bacon to me:

What is called Canadian Bacon here is not like our regular
bacon:

It's sort of like ham and some pizza places just substitute
ham but what I call real Canadian bacon is different.

It has the look of ham but is thin sliced or shredded and is
best when crispy on the edges with just enough saltiness to

bring out the fine pork flavor.
 

The light dawned. 


I think.


But what say you, my fellow Canuckians?

Are we talking something exotic, delicious and totally

unavailable in Canada or are we talking ...
 

Oh YUCKERS ...

 
humble peameal bacon??

 
Enhanced by Zemanta

7 comments:

The Dancing Crone said...

Well I guess I should have read the link before I posted. Canadian bacon is indeed peameal bacon which (when I ate meat) I never liked. Maybe it was the name peameal and all the associations I made with it (mealy, meal worm, canned peas.) Anyway I will look before I leap into cyberspace next time.

Doug Jamieson said...

I always thought it strange that Americans refer to it as Canadian bacon, as though it was one of our national dishes, or something. It is called back bacon in Britain. I never grasped the appeal.

Fundy Blue said...

Hi Francie! My family always called it back bacon. I never heard the term Canadian bacon until I moved to the USA. I'm glad that we didn't call it peameal bacon because that would immediately remind me of canned peas ~ yuck! I hope that you are having a good day!

Plowing Through Life (Martha) said...

I've heard the term 'Canadian' bacon at some point, but had no idea what the heck that means. I've always known it as back bacon, too. Can't say I'm a fan of it.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Yes, I was taught to call it back bacon too. "Peameal bacon" means nothing to me. But oh Francie! Back bacon is the ambrosia of the gods! Plus it is lower fat and much better for you than regular side bacon. And just what do you think Bob and Doug MacKenzie were always frying up and eating with their brewskis in stubbies? That's right -- BACK BACON!!!!!

Magaly Guerrero said...

"frozen manna" LOL

momto8 said...

everything tastes better with Canadian bacon on it.