Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Gun Down

PEMBROKE PARK, FL - APRIL 09:  A shell casing ...Image by Getty Images via @daylife


"Citizens under the age of 18 but over the age of 12 may procure a Minor’s Licence which does not allow them to purchase a firearm but allows them to borrow a firearm unsupervised and purchase ammunition. Children under the age of 12 that are found to need a firearm to hunt or trap may also be awarded the Minor's Licence."


Sounds like a law that may have been in place around the time of Confederation, doesn't it?

It is actually one of the many unpleasant surprises I found when I went wading through Canada's murky present day gun laws this morning. If you ever want a good scare try reading what is allowed and isn't allowed in this nation that has such 'strict' gun control.

I confess that I haven't paid much attention to the Bill C-391 vote set for today. A gun registry is necessary and although I was aware that it was going to be a tight vote, I was sure good sense would triumph.

Then I read the letter to the editor from Karen Vanscoy, Margaret Pinard, Priscilla de Villier and Donna French in the St. Catharines Standard last night. Women who have lost children to acts of violence. Names we all know. Women we have walked with on their terrible journey. They were obviously concerned that the outcome might not be what we all had assumed it would be.

I began to worry that the Bill might pass.

My belief is that guns, long, short, or in between must be registered. No exceptions for farmers, hunters, First Nations people or intruders from the planet Zajeeb X.

Here's hoping our M.P.s do the right thing today.



Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: