Friday, June 20, 2014

Taking the Falls


One of my cousins from Scotland came to visit for a few days this week.

She was a huge amount of fun and because she was here I decided we should do something I've wanted to do since I was a kid.

We took a boat ride to the base of Niagara Falls.

The Niagara River turns up in a lot of my pictures. It has always rolled and roared across the backdrop my life. But it doesn't ever take centre stage.

This picture, however, is all about the river and the legend of the "Maid of the Mist".  I've already blogged about her, how she went willingly over the Falls in a canoe to save her people so I'll just give you a link to one version of the legend:   The maid of the Mist

The maid Lelawela can be seen in the water at the base of the Falls, the Thunder God is on the right. 

The healing and fertility of their love is represented by the canoe.  



No comments: