Saturday, October 20, 2012

Do Banshees Have Big Feet?


Normally I like to flaunt my Scottish heritage around Halloween.

Especially my great grandmother MacPherson who had the second sight. 

 

MacPherson!  What a great name!

My mother used to tell me that no matter where they live in the world, whenever a MacPherson dies the banshees wail.

Unfortunately, because of what I learned this week I'm afraid the banshees won't wail for me. 

If I'm lucky they might hum a few bars of "My Bonny Lies Over the Ocean".

 

You see yesterday I read that there is a difference between Celtic feet and Saxon feet.

You can read the article here.

 

Saxon feet are narrow and pointed with the toes descending neatly in size from big toe to smallest toe while Celtic feet are wider, square-ish and often have  the second toe longer than the big toe.

 

 
After I read that article I whipped off my shoes and socks and gazed in horror at my skinny, pointed feet.




I don't want to be a Saxon!

 

Oh  sure they looked good in chain mail, but those metal buckets they wore on their heads!

Jeesh.

Anyway, I have decided that even though I have the feet of a Saxon I surely must have the soul of a Celt.
 
Especially on Hallowe'en.


I hope the Banshees are good with that.

Enhanced by Zemanta

9 comments:

Introverted Art said...

I have Celt feet :P

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Oh dear. I guess your Great-great-great granny liked 'em tall, blonde and Germanic.

northsidefour said...

This may be the greatest thing I have ever read. After years of constant feet bashing, courtesy of my husband, I now can so proudly tell him that these beauties are Celtic feet, and my daughter has them also. We stand tall (no, we're short but in theory) on our boxy second toe long feet. Gramdmother MacDougal would be so proud. Thank you!

Plowing Through Life (Martha) said...

Looks like there are some Saxon skeletons in the family closet, Francie.

I just know that this post will be the best and most entertaining of the week! What a great way to start my week.

Jane said...

Either way you have adorable little feet Francie :)

Pandorah's Box said...

You have the cutest feet I have ever seen!!!

Magaly Guerrero said...

Well, my middle toe and the toe next to my big toe are longer than the bit toe, so I will probably get to banshees. You can have one, or both so they can sing a duet ;-)

Victoria said...

Ha ha..too cute a post..and your feet are super-lovely! hmm..i think i am the love child of both versions of feet, mine seem to be a morphing of the two!Thanks for the giggles so early in the a.m!
Wishing you a wonderful week friend!
Victoria

Doug Jamieson said...

Ha! Loved this. First time a blog post got me to take my socks off.