Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Fear of Aluminum Warrior Robots

Terminals for making join between aluminium an...Image via Wikipedia

















"The problem with aluminum wiring is that heat causes the wires to swell. 

Then the electricity arcs from one place to another, finds a curtain, lights it on fire and burns your house down. 

You can stick some copper stuff in there and maybe fix it ...

Half the people in Port Dalhousie have aluminum wiring so don't worry about it."



That might not be exactly what the home inspector told  me yesterday after he found aluminum wiring in the tiny little townhouse that I was about to buy, but it is what I heard.

He definitely said something about swelling aluminum wires, arcing electricity, fixing it with copper and the foolhardiness of the people in Port Dalhousie.

My mind filled in the rest.



And I must say, telling me not to worry about it is like telling me that giant warrior robots from a galaxy not far enough away have landed but it's okay because they're one street over.  



Jeesh.









Enhanced by Zemanta

4 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

So I guess you'll have to find someplace without aluminum wiring. Happy hunting!

The Dancing Crone said...

I'm contemplating living under a bridge somnewhere.

Doug Jamieson said...

I've heard these aluminum wiring stories for 30 years, but I've never actually heard of a fire that was said to be caused by this. The problems occur at switches and outlets, which may need to be replaced.

Details at: http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CDEQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.esasafe.com%2Fpdf%2FFlash_Notices%2F09-08-FL.pdf&rct=j&q=aluminum%20wiring&ei=GvaOTsq_JYn00gGs96A2&usg=AFQjCNEuImpb0o_DqwEjfILOkeO7f5R3fw&sig2=goEWNZyaCpoHn7SJczo0Tg

I have aluminum wiring in my Florida hideout, and have not had any problems since buying it in 1989. If that's the only thing preventing you from making an offer on that townhouse, you might want to make your offer conditional upon the owners having the electrics inspected (and repaired if necessary), and provide you with the necessary certification.

Wouldn't recommend bridges with winter coming on, even down there in the fruit belt.

Anonymous said...

I'm certain that we often hear this in a shortened version, quite often, and usually from men! It's the word "Relax"! My husband said it shortly before electricity arced out of an electrical box where we were camping, and just before I threw my wooden clog aimed right at his head.