Thursday, June 21, 2012

Throwing a Christian to the Lions

Good Shepherd
Good Shepherd (Photo credit: Wikipedia)































Recently I noticed that I had a new follower.

As soon as I saw the icon I went immediately to her blog.


A Christian.



My heart sank.

Why would she be interested in my blog?

I have been known to use a few bad words and my religious views aren't exactly traditional.

And she had so many followers.

"Jeesh," I thought, "this is one of those American southern Baptist women.  She isn't interested in anything I say.
She just wants me as a follower so she can preach at me."


For some reason, (to be polite), I did follow her and was totally surprised that she, on occasion, commented on my blog.


I went back to her site and surprise of surprises I actually know her.

I taught 3 of her children!



I try to follow blogs from different areas of society. 

That's  important to me.



I hadn't realized how easy it is to shut down in the face of Christianity.
Me, who takes pride in being so inclusive.



I believe in God.

Totally.

And I love the Bible stories of Jesus that I grew up with.

But when I sit in a church, being an old feminist,  I feel as if I am only hearing half of the story.



Anyway, that's my problem.

The truth is that I'm not so much shocked at the large number of religions there are in the world as I am at the small number. 

Because I think there are many ways to find God.

And I believe if you are on a path whichever one it is, it is the right one.



So I have gone back to the blog of this Christian woman that I know and have started carefully reading what she is saying.



And I have found that she has a deep understanding of how the good in the universe works.

Her lovely writing is clothed in the robes of Christianity,

but  her message of love is universal.



A lesson learned.




***


PS  Mrs. B's blogsite is now on my sidebar.  It is called 'Just a Thought'.

Enhanced by Zemanta
Post a Comment