Saturday, November 3, 2012

If You Haven't Got Something Nice to Say ...

MIAMI, FL - OCTOBER 31:  Republican presidenti...
 (Image credit: Getty Images via @daylife)

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Canadians tend to look and sound like Americans.

And maybe that is why some of us think that we have the right to insult

American politicians.

 
I'm not talking about criticism.

I have been known to criticize the policies of American politicians.

But I also have a habit of criticizing English, German and most of all Canadian politicians and their policies, too.

 
I'm talking about personal attacks of the most vile nature.

I have been shamed by some comments posted and or forwarded by Canadians during this American presidential election.  
 

American policies affect us. 

America is the elephant in our bed, as Pierre Trudeau famously said.


But t isn't our election and it isn't our place to publically question
the integrity, honesty or moral values of the people who run for their public
office.

Jeesh.

Is this what we turn into when there is no hockey?

Enhanced by Zemanta

7 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

You're right, LOL! The hockey lockout is to blame! I hope you have no objection to our cursing Gary Bettman in the vilest manner possible?

Plowing Through Life (Martha) said...

I completely agree with you, Francie. I've run across some terribly nasty things that fellow Canucks say/write. It's embarrassing, to say the least, and certainly arrogant. Giving an opinion, or commenting on what’s going on is fine, but some people are really crossing the line. It’s not our election, and we should make it a point of remembering that.

Introverted Art said...

oh you guys are so sweet, but if the cursing was about Romney, it's probably true! hahahaha just kidding ;-)

The Dancing Crone said...

Well, it is more than just cursing a person for his or her beliefs. I've read some things written by Canadians or forwarded by Canadians that, as Martha says, have crossed the line.

Jane said...

Perhaps the hockey lockout is to blame! Goodness knows we (as a society in general) always seem to need someone to vilify. I agree that people do tend to cross
'the line' - it's easy to do when you're hiding behind a computer screen.

momto8 said...

oh it's getting hot now. I turn off all media because I do not want my kids to even hear it....but I too, am so passionate about my beliefs and I have nothing to do with politics..I cannot even image what it must be like for them... everyday...

Pandorah's Box said...

Hahah about hockey! But yes, I completely agree with you...