Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Leashing Sexual Predators

Tim Hudak.Image via Wikipedia

























Conservative Party leader, Tim Hudak, wants to put registered sex offenders on an 'electronic leash' if he is elected premier of Ontario.

That would mean 14,000 people walking around the province with ankle bracelets.

 It would cost $51 million.


When I first read about it, I snorted and thought, "What an election gimmick!"

I fired off a comment about how it would be cheaper just to pin a scarlet 'P' (P for pervert) on each of their toques.

 But it has bothered me ever since.

14,000 registered sex offenders in Ontario.

That is a lot of sick, dangerous people and my understanding is that at present we have no way of curing them.


They really do walk among us.


So how do we protect their rights and protect the citizens of Ontario at the same time?


I don't know about your common sense, but mine tells me that If sexual predators are dangerous and can't be cured, they shouldn't have the same rights as the rest of us.

An ankle bracelet isn't a cure or even a whole lot of protection.


But it might be a step, (sorry for the pun), in the right direction.



Interesting, Mr. Hudak, but where would you get $51 million?





Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

51 million bucks is chump change to governments.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

And yes, I'm sure we probably are related somehow through UE marriage -- Niagara was a small place a couple of hundred years ago! I'm impressed that you've got your official UE designation.