Saturday, July 10, 2010

The Stoning of Ashtiani

When I was a small girl I was quite sure that if I ever found myself living in ancient, biblical times and was in danger of being stoned, I would save myself by running away.

No one ever explained the finer points of stoning to me - likely because no one knew.

You see, there is no running away. The sinner is first trapped by being buried up to the neck in dirt. The executioners then throw rocks at the condemned person's head until her brains are splattered across the ground.

The reason I know these details is because during this past week I read three articles about an Iranian woman named Ashtiani who is going to be executed by stoning sometime in the near future for the 'crime' of adultery. Ashtiani has already been lashed ninety-nine times. Ashtiani has a seventeen year old son.

There is no proof of her 'crime'.

What can you and I do about it? We can tell her story.

Theo Caldwell@sunmedia.ca, St. Catharines Standard, Thurs. July 8, 2010 said he would like to see her face on more t-shirts than Che Guevara. He said if a 'fraction of the energy evinced by those who showed up at the G20 in Toronto to protest the evils of globalization...were instead directed toward... not hitting women with rocks until they die, we'd be getting somewhere."

A good man protects women and children. These are not good men.

I have always supported the fact that our troops are in Afghanistan. Under the Taliban women and girls have no rights to education or health care and are vulnerable to the same insane justice system that Ashtiani faces.

We can't turn away now.

Note: I have just read that 14 hours ago Iran reported from its London embassy that Ashtiani will not be stoned to death. She may be hanged instead. This was not reported inside of Iran where 15 other people await death by stoning.

3 comments:

Doug said...

I, too, remember those stories from Sunday school about people being stoned. It is beyond belief that this is still happening in the 21st century. This is the dark side of religion.

The Dancing Crone said...

A very dark side indeed. Thank-you for your comment, Doug.

Anonymous said...

I think, that you commit an error. Let's discuss. Write to me in PM, we will talk.
Bravo, what phrase..., a magnificent idea
All above told the truth. We can communicate on this theme. Here or in PM.
I can not take part now in discussion - it is very occupied. But I will soon necessarily write that I think.
I consider, that you are not right. I am assured. I can prove it. Write to me in PM, we will talk.

[url=http://mvpmichaelkors2.exteen.com/20130111/all-about-nappa-leather][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]
[url=http://shenenmaoyiqwe.soup.io/][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]
[url=http://spaces.covers.com/blog/shenenmaoyiw][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]
[url=http://mkbagcheap2.wordpress.com/][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]
[url=http://www.squidoo.com/shenenmaoyizzz][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]