Monday, February 18, 2013

An Apology to the St. Catharines Standard




A person's shadow is made up of the socially unacceptable

personality traits that s/he represses or keeps hidden.
 

If you want to know what your shadow looks like make a list

of the people you don't like and write down what it is about

them that is so hateful.

That list of characteristics is your own shadow personality.


Even countries have shadows.


On the surface Canada is a haven of justice
and über politeness.

 
But to see the country's shadow think of the police actions at

the G20 riots in Toronto, the reputation for viciousness that

our international hockey players have earned

or the government's disinterest in the 600 missing
aboriginal women.

 

It is healthier to acknowledge the shadow
as a part of who you are.


But it is a painful process.
 

When I saw the image of  young breast cancer survivor
it triggered the fears that I don't acknowledge.
 
The fear of cancer, of its treatment and
 
ultimately
 
the fear I have of death.
.

I did not want not want to be confronted by it,
not then,

not over my evening cup of tea.

"... if it is possible, let this cup pass me by."


We experience strong emotions and then we label them.

I labeled my reaction to the image incorrectly.
 
Truthfully

it was fear.
 

And hard as  it was to look at it,
it was exactly what I said it wasn't.

It was a community punch in the
jaw to cancer.
 

My apologies to the St. Catharines Standard.

Enhanced by Zemanta
Post a Comment