Monday, August 13, 2012

Jailed Russian Pussies

NEW YORK CITY. President Vladimir Putin and hi...
. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

















Occasionally I check to see where in the world people are reading my blog.

It's always a nice surprise to see a small but steady number from Russia.



Usually I assume it is an ESL class somewhere in Moscow.  Sometimes I hope it is a Russian teacher I corresponded with during the Cold War.

Our classes exchanged letters one year and I would love to know that she is well.



But whoever it is,  they need to know that we know about Pussy Riot. 

They've been in the news quite a bit recently.



For those who haven't heard about them, Pussy Riot is an all girl punk band that is opposed to the regime of the thuggish Vladimir Putin and his supporters in the Russian Orthodox church.



According to Wayne Kinsella's column, St. Catharines Standard, Monday, August 13, the young women spent 40 seconds inside an Orthodox Church sending a 'punk prayer',
(I don't know what it is either, but I'm guessing it involved a lot of noise and bad language),
to the Virgin Mary asking Her to get rid of Putin.

There was no church service going on but they have been in prison since March charged with blasphemy.

They have been starved, deprived of sleep, are not allowed to see their children and have been subjected to a unjust trial.



The verdict will be read August 17th and evidently the prosecution is seeking years of incarceration.



It seems like a bit of an overreaction on Stalin's part.



Oops, did I say Stalin?

Putin. 

His name is Vladimir Putin.



And, Mr. Vladimir Putin, the world is watching.

.

  







Enhanced by Zemanta

3 comments:

Plowing Through Life (Martha) said...

A small Freudian slipe there? You know, it took my brain awhile to realize that the name Stalin was just a joke. Perhaps my brain also had a bit of a Freudian hiccup.

How disgusting about those women. That is a HUGE overreaction. Someone should tell Putin (a.k.a Stalin) that Russia is no longer a communist country.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Yes, it's outrageous, isn't it? I know a lot of Western musicians are taking up the Pussy Riot cause. I hope those young women are freed soon.

Anonymous said...

They seem to be taking a big step backwards.