Thursday, July 26, 2012

The Tears of Old Mary


I was looking at pictures of religious statues last week and came across a Kitchen Madonna.

They are charming statues of the Virgin Mary holding a broom or doing some other form of house work.

They are meant to be kept in a woman's kitchen, hence the name.
.

Of course it is the Goddess, but I won't tell the Pope if you won't.


Anyway, at this point in my life, my concern isn't with my kitchen,

although maybe it should be.


My concern is with aging and mortality.


I began to wonder if the face of the Virgin ever got old.

Was she also the Crone?


Surely She would understand the pain of aging and death.






I haven't done any art since my elderly father died last September

but the muse is back.






I decided to draw Mary as an old woman.







What I saw when I finished wasn't  a Lady of Sorrows.


Jeesh,


Mary has an attitude!


And I have a feeling if you catch the tears of Old Mary

you'll be blessed with courage and creativity for all your days! 






***

Enhanced by Zemanta

7 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Love this post, Francie! I'm glad your creativity is starting to stir once more.

Magaly Guerrero said...

One of the things I love most about Witchcraft if the concept of the Maiden, the Mother and the Crone. They are all beautiful, and all the stages are awesome in their own right; at least I see it this way.

I admire the lines in your face because they tell that you have lived a lot and you have so many stories... so much wisdom. Every one of your posts ooze a kind of knowledge, which I hope to have when I go from mother to crone.

You are an inspiration.

Magaly Guerrero said...

Oh, and I really look this post ;-)

Jane said...

I love your Mary, Francie! I see wisdom & a fierce independence etched on her face. I had no idea you painted - I'm happy for you that the muse has returned.

My concern isn't with my kitchen either now that my children have both grown up. I'm in a lull, trying to find where I fit. It's a hard transition sometimes, although I love the freedom - I'm so used to 'doing' (& being needed) by everyone else...

Plowing Through Life (Martha) said...

Wow, Francie, that's amazing! I love this. How wonderful that you have such a creative side to you. I had no idea. Keep it up, and make sure to share your work with us.

Introverted Art said...

Francie, I love this post. I love what you wrote about the Virgin Mary being the Goddess and the lack of imagery of an older Mary... Like you, I have a lot of contrasting thoughts about death. Aging hasn't yet bothered me... but dying has been one of the biggest fears of my life for as long as I can remember.
Your rendition of Mary is one of the most beautiful I've seen, much more real and sacred than the ones that portrays her as that forever virginal maiden.

Victoria said...

Beautiful and brilliant! I love your Mary..she is powerful and full of expression and energy...totally fabulous!!
Shine on..thanks for sharing your beautiful art!
Victoria