Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Wedding Dress of the Century

(The 19th century that is.)




This is Tanya.

She is a care giver to artifacts.

She works way, way down in the basement

 of the St. Catharines Museum at Lock 3.




Right now she is putting together an exhibit about

wedding dresses!!!




When I saw her with this dress I begged to be allowed to blog about it

- just to get everybody in the right mood for the


Windsor Nuptials


on Friday.




I mean



truthfully,


who cares about Prince William,

the Queen,

the guys with the big furry hats

 or the wedding ceremony itself?





We're all going to get up at 3 a.m. to see



THE DRESS


.



Well,



THE DRESS


won't be any lovlier than


this amazing creation.


It was worn by a bride in St. Catharines, Ontario


 in

1870.




















Could Kate Middleton's dress possibly be this beautiful?
















The back of


the dress


includes a bustle and this beautiful train.




I picture a big hat with lots of feathers and things on her head,


 
but truthfully,


 I don't know


and I haven't seen Tanya unpack a hat box yet.



 
Maybe she wore a veil,

or she was bare headed

or the hat was lost ...











If you look closely you can see the hand stitching, particularly around the yoke.


The neckline is low, but there is an extremely modest insert

that buttons right up to the top.


I wonder if


The Dress

Royal 


will be half as demure.




The Royal wedding is on Friday,

The Museum Wedding Dress Exhibit will be in June

and you won't have to get up at 3 am to see it!



 
St. Catharines Museum at Lock 3
1932 Welland Canals Pkwy
St. Catharines, Ont.

905-984-8880





















4 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Yes, it is a very lovely dress indeed! I hope Kate Middleton's gown will be simple, classic and elegant. I hated Princess Diana's two tons of ruffles and flounces.

The Dancing Crone said...

Oh I agree! That was one ugly dress. I cn't wait to see the new royal wedding gown...as you say hopefully it will be simpler and classic. I'll be up early on Friday!

Barb said...

~ i agree, di's dress was one ugly creation ... i'm sick and tired of hearing everyone say how beautiful it was ... i think they're just afraid to admit it to the world ... to much ruffles and flounces hid her ... you could only see dress
~ kate has more style ... it will most likely be classic cut ... her's hoping anyway
~ not in any hurry to see the wedding ... there will be so much replay we will all be sick to death of watching it over and over and over .....................

The Dancing Crone said...

I don't think I could get tired of it. The Brits do that sort of thing so well!!!