Thursday, June 27, 2013

It Ain't Your Mother's Newspaper





One of the more interesting struggles to watch in this
post-modern age has been the plight of our local small

city newspapers.

 How can you roll with wireless punches when you are
a paper based industry?

 
How can you serve a small city fairly when you are owned

by a conglomerate that sets a rigid political framework
within which you must work?

 

As a long time newspaper junkie I'm an interested observer. 


And what I observed was that although the irritating one-sided
right wing columnists are still there a lot of other things I used to

enjoy in the St. Catharines Standard are not. 

 So a few weeks ago I was actually thinking of cancelling
my subscription.

 
But then I began to notice a change. 

 
The headlines are now about local issues and people. 

A few national and international stories are buried
inside.

 

I wasn't sure about it at first.

 

But I'm beginning to see the St. Catharines Standard's
cost cutting efforts as a big plus.

 

Suddenly the message is:

 

Local issues matter.

Local issues are important.

 

It's a small twist in newspaper attitude but it may
be the right twist. 


I like it.

 
And I'm keeping my subscription.



***

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: