Thursday, June 6, 2013

Erotica or Notica - SECRET

Prezerwatywa, z angielskiej wiki
Prezerwatywa, z angielskiej wiki (Photo credit: Wikipedia)


There was a time when I didn't read a book
if a woman was raped and killed on the first

page. 

It was a time when the "sex+women=violence"
conundrum squatted in our literary collective

unconscious like a  malignant tumour   


and the only way to fight back was as a
consumer.


 I suppose when you look at it in that light
SECRET by L. Marie Adeline is a step forward.

 

The plot revolves around Cassie, thirty-five,
abused wife, newly widowed who has been dead

from the neck down for over 5 years. 

She meets up with a beautiful older woman who
becomes her mentor and facilitates her

sexual reawakening.

 
The plot is better than the book.

 
It is classified as feminist erotica because

Cassie develops the power to accept or reject
each experience as it comes along.

 
The men are lean and hard and understand the
word 'no'.

 
They also use condoms, which kind of puzzles me.


I mean I don't know about you, but in my fantasies
nobody stops to fiddle with a condom.

 

Anyway.

 

Like I said in my last blog, this is not a genre I'm
familiar with, so if you think I know not of what

I speak, you are probably right. 


However I thought the writing style was about
as sophisticated as that of Louis Lamour, (cowboy

books - another genre I tried once). 


And quite frankly it is a relief to get back to
A Red Herring Without Mustard* by Alan Bradley.


Conclusion:  I paid $11 to download it to my ipad. 
I would have felt totally ripped off if I'd paid for the book.  

A let down.

 

 

*Second in a series.  14 year old motherless girl
genius in a demented, impoverished British aristocratic

family solves murder myteries.  First book: The Sweetness
at the bottom of the Pie.

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: