Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Goose, Moose... What's the Difference?


Okay so I posted this picture of my brother today on face book and informed the world he was goose hunting.

I also e-mailed a copy of it to him figuring he would be thrilled to see himself immortalized in oil pastels.

If he was he didn't say.

He rather curtly informed me that is a moose hunting rifle he is holding.

Jeesh, goose, moose.  

He's lucky I knew it was a gun.


Anyway the picture is called "A James Bay Morning".


My brother taught school in Moose Factory for 25 years and married a local girl - my most wonderful sister-in-law!

The Swampy Cree hunt moose and always have.  

And they also hunt goose.  I know this for a fact ... but I digress.

The point I'm trying to make is that this is not sport hunting, it is hunting for food and is part of the traditional lifestyle of the people who live around James Bay.

So a picture that could so easily give viewers an ominous feeling has a quiet watchful sense about it.


Unless you happen to be a moose that is.






Post a Comment