Saturday, August 17, 2013

Hey Muslim Brotherhood, Who Got the Role of Leading Lady?

Islamic women
Islamic women (Photo credit: See Wah)


 

 

 
 
 
 
 
Yesterday as I watched events unfold in Egypt courtesy of CHCH TV
the camera flashed on a group of protesters. 

They were pro President Morsi/Muslim Brotherhood.

The only thing unusual about it was that a woman stood in the middle
of the crowd of men. 

She was dressed in a black robe, wore a niqab and was veiled.

As far as visual impact went she might as well have been wearing
a Santa Claus suit.

And to further draw your attention she was vigorously jumping up and
down, thrusting her fist in the air and (presumably) shouting.


"What the frick is this?"  I thought.

But by the time what I'd seen registered in my tiny little brain the
camera had moved on.


Now I have seen groups of veiled Muslim women protesters before but
never one woman who stood alone in a crowd of Egyptian men.


Some days I am SO cynical. 
 



Sooooooo cynical.
 
 

It was, in my opinion, a message for western viewers:

Muslim Brotherhood = Democracy and freedom for women.

 
And I wondered which democratic brother drew the short straw
and had to be the woman.

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: